Nissan in the Community
Nissan Smyrna has been a game-changer for Tennessee and a unifying force in the community. The plant supports more than 8,000 on-site jobs, as well as thousands of employment opportunities at Tennessee-based suppliers.
- Nissan Smyrna generates over $290 million in annual payroll.
- Nissan’s total investment in the Smyrna plant is more than $6 billion.
Our focus is on causes that matter to the local community, our employees and their families including areas such as education, diversity, humanitarian aid and the environment. Combined annual corporate and employee contributions routinely exceed $500,000.
Nissan Smyrna supports hundreds of local organizations that serve our community including:
Nissan in the Community
Nissan employee volunteers devote thousands of hours annually with area schools mentoring children, building homes in Rutherford County through Habitat for Humanity and assisting a wide variety of other community organizations.
Nissan Smyrna supports non-profit groups in Rutherford County with grants supplied by the Nissan Neighbors program. Visit Nissan’s corporate webpage to review grant criteria and to complete an online application.
A set of collective efforts reflects Nissan’s broader global environmental initiative, Nissan Green Program 2016, which focuses on reducing environmental impacts of corporate activities and pursuing harmony between resource consumption and ecology by promoting and widening the application of innovative green technologies, energy management and fuel-efficient vehicles. Highlights include:
- Achievement of ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year certification each year since 2006. The designation, awarded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, solidifies Nissan’s spot among the top 25 percent of the automotive industry for superior energy management.
- A commitment to reducing energy intensity 25 percent by 2020 as part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s Better Buildings, Better Plants Challenge.
- Aggressive plans to achieve zero-landfill status.
- Completion of the company’s most advanced paint plant in the world, which sets new standards for quality, efficiency and environmental impacts. The paint plant is capable of reducing energy consumption by 30 percent, carbon emissions by 30 percent and volatile organic compound (VOCs) emissions by 70 percent.